An attractive collection of objects from the Byzantine period, including Byzantine icons from the 7th to 18th centuries, including the oldest icon found yet in Cyprus dating to the 7th or 8th century.
Adjoining the Bishopric
(next to Ag. Theodoros Church),
5 Andrea Ioannou Str., Pafos
Tel: +357 26 93 13 93
Pafos Archibishop's Residence, Agiou Theodorou street, Pafos.
The extremely interesting Byzantine Museum of Pafos lies within the precincts of the Pafos Bishopric. It houses a great number of Byzantine icons, ranging mainly from the 12th to the 19th century, collected from churches and monasteries of the district of Pafos. These icons express the religious faith of the Pafians during the Byzantine era and inform present day visitors of the high artistic quality of those times. The oldest icon, that of the Virgin Eleousa, from the church of the Monastery of Agios Savvas tis Karonos, dates to about 1200 A.D. and is an exquisite example of Byzantine art.
The Byzantine Museum also contains liturgical books, firmans, manuscripts, woodcarvings, crosses, silverware, priests' robes, etc.